What is wellness?
Wellness is the active pursuit of activities, choices and lifestyles that lead to a state of holistic health. . To better understand wellness, you should break down and understand the concepts that make up this definition.
The first aspect of this definition states that wellness is not passive rather it’s an “active pursuit” associated with choices, intentions and actions that aim to achieve a holistic state of wellbeing and health.
The second aspect of wellness is linked to an integrated state of health—that means, it supersedes physical health and incorporates other dimensions.
Wellness is influenced by our environments and physical state, it’s an individual pursuit and we are responsible for our own choices and lifestyle.
Wellness is often confused and used interchangeably with terms such as health and wellbeing. While these concepts share certain elements. l they are different.
Wellness is distinguished by its nature of requiring action. It is associated with an active process, making choices and doing acts that lead toward an outcome of optimal holistic health and wellbeing.
Health is however defined as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
Wellness is therefore a continuous act of practising healthy habits daily to achieve a holistic state of health.
People who practice wellness often adopt healthy habits that enhance their quality of life improves their health and prevents diseases.
Wellness is the conscious development of the whole self. Embarking on a wellness journey is a process of searching for and using the appropriate “tools” for continued growth and development.
Put differently, wellness is proactive, preventive and enforced by responsibility.
It is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices towards a healthy and fulfilling life. It is more than being free from illness, it is a dynamic process of change and growth.
Irrespective of a person’s age, size and shape, it is wellness that is the cornerstone of quality of life. It determines how we ultimately look, feel, interact with others and thrive in work and life.
It is important to see that all of the various concepts of wellness should include at least the following precepts:
- Unity – your health and well-being are the outcomes of the continuous interaction between the several natural dimensions of life and wellness. Each dimension is interrelated with the others. The ideal is to lead a holistic life.
- Responsibility – To enforce Wellness, a person must take responsibility for their health, choices and the consequences of those choices. This indicates that when you make unhealthy life choices you are responsible enough to accept your fault and take active steps to correct them and taking better care of yourself.
- Balance – You must give attention to not just one dimension but all dimensions of wellness, ensuring that no area suffers as this ensures a full, happier and better life.
SEVEN DIMENSIONS OF WELLNESS
Wellness is multidimensional, there are about 7 dimensions of wellness, all of which come together to produce a complete holistic being.
Physical wellness means exercising, getting adequate sleep, eating healthy and maintaining a balanced diet.
It is important because it keeps your body well and able to perform optimally in every area of your life.
Physical wellness means living responsibly and taking care of your body, and recognizing that our daily habits and behaviours have a significant impact on our overall health and quality of life. Adopting healthy habits will lead to optimal physical wellness and reduced risk of preventable chronic illness.
Tips for physical wellness
- Exercise often
- Do routine body checkups
- Listen to your body for symptoms and signs of illness and treat it promptly
- Get adequate rest
- Make safe choices by using seat belts, helmets, and other protective gears while riding or driving.
- Maintain a healthy balanced diet
- Eliminate bad habits like excessive drinking and smoking.
- Regulate your meal portions
Mental wellness is a positive state of mental health. It is more than the absence of mental illness, it means that your mind is well and functioning at its best.
Mentally healthy people maintain a positive attitude and are more self-assured and happy than mentally unwell people.
They are in control of their actions, thoughts, emotions. They effectively process emotions and handle different things that life rolls in which enables them to build and maintain healthy relationships and also live a full and rewarding life.
Sustaining mental health requires time and effort. The more you invest in your mental health, the stronger it will become.
TIPS FOR MENTAL WELLNESS
There are numerous ways to improve and build mental health. You can improve mental health by:
- Being kind to yourself -we are often our worst critics.
- Learning to be at peace with yourself
- Learning to let go of hurtful experiences and move on.
- Spending time with yourself and falling in love with yourself.
- Getting to know who you are and what makes you happy
- Identifying and acknowledging your limits
- Identifying your triggers and avoiding them
- Acknowledging what you can and cannot change about yourself
- Identifying your abilities and weaknesses, accept them, build on them, and do the best with what you have
- Paying attention to your own needs and feelings
- Expressing your thoughts through a journal or blog to understand more about yourself
- Working towards your objectives
- Setting Specific and achievable goals.
- Celebrating each win no matter how small.
- Building or joining a supportive community
- Taking food that will improve your brain function.
- Adopting a daily exercise routine to keep you pumped and ready for the day.
- Build strong relationships.
- Creating a balance and ensuring no area of your life is neglected.
- Make time for family and friends, and share life’s joys and sorrows with them
- Create a financial budget to avoid becoming financially stressed.
- Find something you’re passionate about and engage in, it makes the fire burn within.
Emotional wellness inspires self-care, relaxation, stress reduction and the development of inner strength. It is important to be attentive to both positive and negative feelings and be able to understand how to handle these emotions. Emotional wellness also includes the ability to learn and grow from experiences. Being in touch with, aware of, accepting of, and able to express one’s feelings.
We all know that our feelings can significantly affect how we function. I remember dealing with a breakup and how difficult it was for me at work for a while. This was mainly because I refused to properly process my feeling and deal with them.
One bad event can significantly alter the entire course of your day because your mood will ruin everything that follows.
Emotional wellness means figuring out how to successfully handle your emotions and adapt to change and difficult times without handing the reins of your life over to your emotions.
We can start practising habits that build emotional wellness and over time our reactions to experiences can change and become entirely in conformity with the tenets of emotional wellness.
Emotional wellness involves self-expression, courage, positivity, vulnerability, self-esteem, self-acceptance and the ability to communicate emotions clearly.
Tips for emotional wellness
- Acknowledge your feelings
- Process your feelings
- Be vulnerable
- Express your feelings
- Tune in to your thoughts and feelings
- Build a positive attitude
- Seek help and support when you require it
- Take time when you need it to collect yourself
- Find a way to relax
Social wellness refers to our ability to connect and interact successfully in our global community and to live up to the expectations and demands of our personal roles. It is understanding our responsibility and duties in society and making efforts to perform our duties as expected. It involves connection, interactions and contributions to others.
This means learning good communication skills, developing intimacy with others, and creating a support network of friends and family members.
Social wellness includes showing respect for others and yourself. When you contribute to a community and live up to your duties in alignment with your social duties builds a sense of belonging and purpose.
Tips for social wellness
- Participate in activities in your community
- Foster healthy relationships
- Carry out your societal and civic duties
- Be sensualité to others’ needs
- Get involved in your community
- Contribute to your community
- Share your talents and skills
- Communicate your thoughts, feelings and ideas
- Settle disputes that may arise swiftly
Environment wellness speaks of environmental sustainability. A healthy physical environment free of hazards; and awareness of the role we play in bettering rather than denigrating the natural environment and our responsibility to secure and protect our future
Environmental wellness is an awareness of the unstable state of the earth and the effects of your daily habits on the physical environment. It consists of maintaining a way of life that maximizes harmony with the earth and minimizes harm to the environment.
It also includes being involved in socially responsible activities to protect the environment.
Tips for environmental weakness
- Plant a tree
- Spend time in nature e.g. taking walks
- Appreciate everything the earth does for us and bond with it
- Protect natural resources and animals
- Employ safety protocols when using harmful substances that can adversely affect the environment
- Protect the ocean your junk mail
- Conserve water and other resources
- Reduce chemical use
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Carpool today and tomorrow and whenever you can.
According to research, Over 85% of people hate their jobs, which means there are a lot of people that are miserable at their jobs. To achieve occupational wellness, people have to figure out how to remain productive, use their skills, be productive and happy even if the job they are doing isn’t their preferred job.
Your work attitude determines whether or not you’ll gain satisfaction every day and not wallow in a bottomless pool of misery. Occupational wellness involves preparing and making use of your gifts, skills, and talents to gain purpose, happiness, and enrichment in your life.
Once you can maintain a positive attitude at work, you will achieve occupational wellness and it will reflect in your work. It also builds a positive feeling that leaves you proud of yourself and your efforts at the end of each day and speaking from experience that’s a fantastic way to feel.
Occupational wellness means successfully integrating a commitment to your occupation into a total lifestyle that is satisfying and rewarding.
Tips for occupational wellness
- Have a positive attitude to work
- Make plans for your future
- Do not let your dreams wither away
- Acquire new skills and self-improve and develop
- Explore a variety of career options
- Get a job you love if you can
- Be adaptable because the world is constantly changing
Human beings have the natural predisposition to believe in a higher power and this explains the control religion has over our social lives.
Spiritual wellness reflects our search for meaning and higher power and calling. Our ability to strike a balance in our quest for purpose and accepting the things we cannot explain whilst maintains our values principles and guiding beliefs that influence our life choices and decisions is an indication of spiritual wellness.
Achieving spiritual wellness means seeking answers to the phenomenon we do not understand, appreciating them even well we do not understand them and creating harmony.
Tips for spiritual wellness
- Seek knowledge and answers about things you do not understand
- Meditate often to unlock another dimension
- Feed your curiosity/ be actively curious.
- Live by your principles and guiding beliefs
- Explore your spiritual core
- Be tolerant of other people’s choices as it relates to spirituality
- Have dialogues and share ideas and opinions with others
BENEFITS OF WELLNESS
There are numerous benefits, but it generally provides overall good health. The following are some benefits of wellness:
- Better physical health
- Better mental health
- More productivity
- Improved mood
- Less stress
- Better social connectedness and interaction.
You can also check out my article on general wellness tips and if you have any comments or questions I’d love to hear them. Remember you can always talk to me.